You’ve likely heard plenty of opinions about whether it is better to book a hotel or a hostel way in advance or at the last minute to save money. Both of these options have their individual benefits, as well as some things to consider. Here we review the pros and cons of booking a hotel way in advance or at the last minute to see which will save you more money. I’d also recommend checking out my post on Random Hostel Tips if you’ve never spent any length of time in a hostel.
Booking a Hotel Way in Advance
Booking a hotel way in advance has the obvious benefit of more options when it comes to available hotel rooms. It also offers peace of mind that you will have a room ready for you once you arrive at your destination.
Tips for Booking a Hotel Way in Advance
- Be flexible with your arrival and departure dates. When you’re booking a hotel in advance, it is best to be as flexible as you can with your dates of arrival and departure, as hotel rates can vary greatly on different dates and days of the week.
- Shop around for different rates. It is also very important to shop around when searching for hotel accommodations well in advance, as prices can also vary quite a bit on different sites, and of course from different hotels, as well.
Booking a Hotel at the Last Minute
Booking a hotel at the last minute can definitely save you a lot of money, as hotels are eager to fill up their empty rooms. However, your selection of hotels and available rooms will be a bit more limited, as some may not have occupancy available at the time. If you’re not very picky on where you end up staying and are simply looking for an affordable rate, you may want to wait until the last minute to find a hotel to book for your stay.
Handy travel tip: Before you travel, and as a travel blogger, this really applies to me, it is smart to move your desktop to the Cloud with CloudDesktopOnline.com and files with CloudAppsPortal.com . This will allow you to work from anywhere with any device.
Tips for Booking a Hotel at the Last Minute
- Look for deals online. You can find huge discounts for booking a hotel the night of by searching on different hotel booking websites.
- Wing it and search for a hotel upon your arrival. Another option for booking a hotel at the last minute is to search the area for hotels upon your arrival and check in with a few to see what their best rates are for checking in that night.
- Try to negotiate. If you’ve waited until the last minute and aren’t shy to ask for a bargain, you may find that haggling with the hotel may get you an even better rate.
One of the most important things to keep in mind when deciding whether to book a hotel way in advance or at the last minute is to remember to do what works best for you. If you feel like you need the peace of mind of knowing you definitely have a hotel room booked, it is probably your best option to book in advance. While, if you don’t mind waiting until the last minute to try to save more money and don’t mind the uncertainty, you may find that waiting until the last minute to book a hotel is your best bet.